St. Andrew's Headmasters
Click on names below for details about each Headmaster.
John D. Martin
Head Master John D. Martin is a graduate of Northfield Mount Hermon School and Tufts University. He also holds an M.Ed. from American International College and an M.Div. from Yale University. He has held faculty, admissions, and chaplain positions at Tabor Academy, The Peddie School, and Sewickley Academy. Since he assumed the position of Head Master in 1996, St. Andrew's has been on a path of unparralleled growth and development. Enrollment has grown by more than 60% since 1996, and the faculty has grown to 42 members, maintaining a student-teacher ratio of 5:1. Under Martin's leadership, construction was completed on Adams Student Services Center, Brown Science Center, Sage Gymnasium, and a major renovation of Hardy Hall for the Middle School. Additionally, St. Andrew’s completed a major Capital Campaign, The Campaign to Build St. Andrew’s Future, in June of 2004. The Campaign raised more than $14.25 million for building, endowment, and annual operating support. The centerpiece of the Campaign was the construction of the Norman E. and Dorothy R. McCulloch Center for the Arts, a 27,000 sq. ft. facility featuring a 287-seat theater; classrooms for the visual arts, music, drama, and computer graphics; a small gallery; scene shop and theater production facilities; and a conference room. Other projects under the campaign umbrella included: the expansion of the Library and Resource Department; growth of endowment funds (total endowment now stands at $17 million); and stabilization and growth of annual giving.
After devoting his professional career to independent school education; first as a teacher and counselor, and then a Headmaster, Dave Burnham had a self-described second career as President of the Board of the Paul Cuffee School, a charter school in Providence, RI. A widely respected educator and accomplished sailor, Burnham spent sixteen of his eighteen years as the Head of School at Providence’s Moses Brown School. Burnham holds degrees from Yale University and the University of Massachusetts.
Everett J. Wilson
"Doc" Wilson spent more than than 20 years in independent education, including seven years at St. Andrew's in the 1970's. He served as Interim Headmaster at Shore Country Day School, and taught at Rocky Hill School and served as Assistant to the Headmaster at Greenwood School. He returned to St. Andrew's in the late 1980's as Head of the Upper School, before being appointed Headmaster in 1991.
Stephen G. Waters
Mr. Waters and his wife Jane, now live in New Hampshire and are still involved with the School. Upon his retirement from St. Andrew's, Mr. Waters said, "I am most proud that St. Andrew's has been able to modify its Mission to reflect changes in society at large without compromising its essential purpose. Co-education, resource and tutorial programs, a middle school, full health services, the rehabilitation of virtually all major buildings, the construction of a learning center, diverse cultural and athletic opportunities, and ongoing curriculum development are meaningful manifestations of the process of change."
Herbert W. Spink
Mr. Spink gave 22 years of faithful and devoted service to the School and students. Formerly a teacher in the Providence Public Schools, he came to St. Andrew's at the time that the Rev. Owings Stone of St. John's Church was appointed Chaplain. It was during Mr. Spink's tenure that the School became accredited, day students were first enrolled, and the Karl P. Jones Gymnasium was built.
The Rev. Irving Andrew Evans
Rev. Evans helped to keep the School community's spirits up during the difficult years that followed the Depression and during World War II. It was during his tenure that St. Andrew's graduated its first class with a high school diploma (1940), and Chapin Chapel was built (1945).
The Rev. Albert Crabtree
Under Rev. Crabtree's guidance, the School doubled its plant and financial strength. During his 15 years as Headmaster, Gardiner Hall, Perry Hall, the 19-acre Peterman Farm, and land and a bathhouse on the Barrington River were added, as well as an addition to Hardy Hall and the remodeling of Clark Hall.
The Rev. William Merrick Chapin (1893-1922)
Father Chapin was Rector of St. John's Church in Barrington when he established St. Andrew's Industrial School in a barn on Rumstick Road with "no money, no friends, and one boy." The School's first Headmaster was "truly a father to all the boys and every boy knew this. He possessed an overflowing humor, a deep but unobtrusive piety, an interest in people, and above all, a feeling of sympathy and understanding." Among Father Chapin's friends were Zechariah and Mary Chafee, who gave the School its first 17 acres on Federal Road.